In 2021, the average cost of an engagement ring was $6,000.1 About a third of couples spend between $1,000 and $4,000, but many spend much more. The possibility of losing such a meaningful and expensive possession may be hard to consider, but it happens. And homeowners or renters insurance might not provide enough protection to replace a fine piece of jewelry or other expensive item that’s lost or stolen.

The personal property coverage in standard policies generally covers only certain incidents (damage or accidental loss are typically excluded), and losses for jewelry and certain other expensive items are typically limited to around $1,500.2 Of course, a claim under your standard policy would also be subject to your deductible.

If you have cherished jewelry or other valuable goods in your home, you may be able to increase the limits for certain categories by paying a relatively small additional premium. However, the increased limits might still be too low for your needs, and the coverage will still apply to a narrow list of incidents.

For broader coverage with higher limits, consider purchasing a separate personal property policy or adding a scheduled personal property endorsement or “floater” to your homeowners or renters policy. Unlike standard policies, this type of endorsement typically extends coverage for many potential mishaps including theft, accidental loss or damage, and unexplained disappearance.

So, if your diamond engagement ring is washed down your kitchen sink – or lost in the ocean – a floater could help you recover the full replacement value (up to policy limits). Better yet, there’s no deductible, or a relatively minimal one.

You can choose to insure a single item (a particular ring) or a class of luxury goods (all jewelry). Other examples of items that might be appropriate to insure with higher limits or a floater include silverware, computers, cameras, sporting goods, musical instruments, furs, fine art and antiques, coin or stamp collections, and other valuable collectibles.

To obtain a floater, you’ll need a detailed description or photo(s) of the items and a bill of sale, appraisal, or other documentation of their value.

If the value of any personal property you own exceeds the coverage offered in your current insurance policies, ask your insurance agent about the costs and benefits of additional coverage for those belongings. You may find it’s a relatively small price to pay for the added protection.

Did you know we offer insurance?

Give us 5 minutes and we’ll see if we can save you some money on all your insurance needs!

1The Knot, December 10, 2021. 2Insurance Information Institute, 2022.

This information is not intended as tax, legal, investment, or retirement advice or recommendations, and it may not be relied on for the purpose of avoiding any federal tax penalties. You are encouraged to seek guidance from an independent tax or legal professional. The content is derived from sources believed to be accurate. Neither the information presented nor any opinion expressed constitutes a solicitation for the purchase or sale of any security. This material was written and prepared by Broadridge Advisor Solutions. © 2022 Broadridge Financial Solutions, Inc.