Millions of college students will return to campus this fall after attending classes remotely during the 2020-21 academic years. The transition to college living may involve new experiences and challenges, even for those who’ve lived on campus before.

Amid all the changes and excitement, it’s important to make sure your student carries appropriate insurance coverage.

Here are three types of coverage to consider:

Health insurance

Health-care policies vary among schools, so it’s important to understand the specific requirements and available options. Most schools offer a group health insurance plan, and some require coverage as a condition of attendance.

The most cost-effective solution may be to keep your student on your family policy – young adults can typically stay on their parents’ health insurance policies up to age 26. Medical care at campus facilities is often provided at relatively low cost to students, but you may want to check whether campus facilities and doctors are participating providers in your network.

Auto insurance

If your student takes a car to school, it’s typically less expensive to include the vehicle on your own policy than to purchase separate coverage. However, you should report the new location to your insurance company; your premium may go up or down depending on the location.

If your student won’t be taking a car to school, and the campus is more than 100 miles from home, he or she may qualify for a resident student discount on your policy. This would allow the student to drive your family vehicles when visiting home on vacations or weekends and may even extend through the summer. Keeping those grades up can help, too – good student discounts don’t end with high school!

Personal property insurance

If your undergraduate lives in a dorm, your homeowners insurance may cover personal property, up to a stated percentage of your total coverage (typically 10%). Check your policy and compare any coverage limits on dorm room protection with the total value of the items your student intends to take. You might consider purchasing a separate student policy offering more specific coverage in dorms and on campus, which often have low deductibles.

If your student lives in an off-campus apartment, your homeowners policy will generally not provide coverage, so it would be wise to consider renters insurance. Be sure to ask your insurance agent about the specific coverage in your policy as it applies to your student’s living situation.

Did you know we offer insurance?
Give us 5 minutes and we’ll see if we can save you some money on all your insurance needs!
Member Advantage Insurance Services

This information is not intended as tax, legal, investment, or retirement advice or recommendations, and it may not be relied on for the purpose of avoiding any federal tax penalties. You are encouraged to seek guidance from an independent tax or legal professional. The content is derived from sources believed to be accurate. Neither the information presented nor any opinion expressed constitutes a solicitation for the purchase or sale of any security. This material was written and prepared by Broadridge Advisor Solutions. ©2021 Broadridge Financial Solutions, Inc.